Monday, November 14, 2011

Life without Cheetos

For years, someone in my family whom I love dearly has been fighting an addiction to food. She is one of my favorite people in the world, so it's been devastating to witness.  Food addiction is particularly cruel. Most of us have demons, but those who struggle with weight loss carry their demons for the whole world to see. So after years of watching what the weight did to her emotionally, physically and psychologically, I made a decision - I learned how to cook. With vegetables.

Five days ago, I made another decision - life without cheetos. I was sitting in my future father-in-law's living room, watching a family gather around their figurehead after he had suffered a heart attack. I wasn't the only one that felt helpless. In times like these, when lacking control, I often seek out some action by which I can gain control. I'm not a cardiac surgeon, so I can't personally see to it that the occlusions are removed from his arteries, just like I can't force my loved one to eat more vegetables, but I can stop eating cheetos.

Through this blog, I hope to take these two decisions and put them towards better use. I'll write about recipes that are heart-healthy. Sometimes I like a complicated, challenging recipe using fun ingredients that I can tinker with for days, weeks or years. But as a law student, I've come to appreciate the quick and easy recipes. With little income and soaring student debt, I've come to really appreciate recipes that are inexpensive. So this is a blog about transitioning to affordable, heart-healthy meals. A life without cheetos.

No comments:

Post a Comment